12 Best Sources of Plant Based Protein
Plant based proteins have been around forever! Ask any vegan and they'll be happy to tell you all about them! Plant based protein can be found in lots of vegetables, nuts and seeds. During the pregnancy and post partum period protein is especially important to the mom and baby. Proteins are the building blocks needed to ensure the body can build, repair and maintain tissues and organs. Current guidelines suggest that women consume at least 65 grams of protein per day.
1. Quinoa- 1/2 cup contains 14 grams of protein. It is a complete protein with all the essential amino acids. Its also an excellent source of fiber.
2. Hemp Seeds- 1/4 cup contains 15 grams of protein. It is great for skin, hair and bone health.
3. Leafy Greens- 2 cups of raw spinach contain 2.1 grams of protein, a load of antioxidants and heart healthy fiber.
4. Almonds- 1/4 cup of almonds has 8 grams of protein. Almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin E and fiber. They also contain Omega-3 Fatty acids.
5. Unsweetened Raw Cacao- Not to be confused with Cocoa powder, Raw Cacao contains magnesium, iron and copper. 1 tablespoon contains 1 gram of protein.
6. Sunflower, Sesame and Poppy Seeds- Sunflower seeds contain the most protein clocking in at 7.3 grams per 1/4 cup Sesame and Poppy seeds contain 5.4 grams per 1/4 cup. These seeds are rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
7. Spirulina Powder- 1/2 Tablespoon contains 2 grams of protein. Spirulina powder contains 22 amino acids, is rich in beta carotene, calcium and iron. Its also wonderful added to various smoothies.
8. Plant Based Milks- Soy milk has the most protein at 4 to 8 grams per 8 ounces (please choose a non-GMO version or organic soy milk). Almond, Hemp and Rice milk contain 1 gram of protein per cup.
9. Broccoli- 1 regular stalk contains 4.4 grams of protein. Broccoli has high antioxidants, amino acids and heart healthy fiber.
10. Chickpeas- 1/2 cup contains anywhere from 15-26 grams of protein depending on the type of legume. Chickpeas are an excellent source of phytonutrients including anti-inflammatory quercitin. Chickpeas are also great for blood sugar balance and digestive health.